About Covenant House
Since 1997, Covenant House Vancouver has provided essential and relentless support for youth experiencing, or at-risk of experiencing, homelessness. We provide support to youth ages 16 to 24 who have experienced a wide range of early life and ongoing, complex trauma including physical, sexual, emotional abuse, and neglect. Our purpose is to serve all youth with absolute respect and unconditional love, to help youth experiencing homelessness, and provide a safe and supportive environment for all youth in need.
The Impact a Gifts in Kind Assistant with our Philanthropy Department can make:
As an Assistant with our Gifts in Kind team, you will help to coordinate the day-to-day operations of Covenant Houses Gifts in Kind program by receiving, processing, and managing physical donations. You will support our Christmas Backpack Campaign, ensuring that donations are appropriate to keep, and seeking assistance about re-donating items to other organizations.
How you will contribute:
- Greet donors in parkade or reception and retrieve donations
- Sort and process donations, deciding which are appropriate to keep and which will be re-donated
- Fill youth clothing requests and ensure they are delivered in an appropriate timeline
- Fill toiletry requests for our programs as needed
- Support our Christmas Backpack Campaign.
- Ensure the sorting area stays clean and tidy
- Other related duties as required
Who are we looking for?
Education and Experience:
- Highschool Diploma
- 1 year of previous working experience
- Previous experience working with clothing and physical donations considered an asset
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to lift and carry boxes up to 15 pounds
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multitask
- Strong communication and ability to interact with donors in a professional way
Why Work for us? Would you like to …
- Be part of a team that makes a difference in the lives of youth in need
- Have generous Health & Dental Benefits, including a health spending account, counselling benefits, employee assistance program, excellent vacation (starting at 15 days per year!), personal and sick leave
- Access ongoing training and development to improve both professional and personal growth
- Attend an array of exciting team bonding exercises throughout the year
- An inclusive team that welcomes innovative ideas and creativity
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
CHV is committed to upholding diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to:
- Persons from groups marginalized due to race, ancestry, colour, religion/spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- Persons with visible (physical) and/or invisible (mental) disabilities;
- Persons who identify as women;
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions; and
- Indigenous persons.
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and that therefore, diversity, equity, and inclusion can be complex. We value the contributions that each person brings and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all at Covenant House Vancouver.
We love what we do and try to make a difference every day. If you are looking to join a place where we have a purpose and aim to achieve positive outcomes, please join us by applying.