Media & Communication Manager
In order to be hired at Covenant House Vancouver as an employee, practicum student, or volunteer, candidates must provide evidence of full courses of Health-Canada approved vaccinations prior to starting their first shift.
About Covenant House
Since 1997, Covenant House Vancouver has provided essential and relentless support for youth experiencing, or at-risk of experiencing, homelessness. We provide support to youth ages 16 to 24 who have experienced a wide range of early life and ongoing, complex trauma including physical, sexual, emotional abuse, and neglect. Our purpose is to serve all youth with absolute respect and unconditional love, to help youth experiencing homelessness, and provide a safe and supportive environment for all youth in need.
The Impact the Media & Communication Manager with the Public Affairs Team can make:
As the Media & Communications Manager, you will lead Covenant House Vancouver’s (CHV) external messaging to partners including Donors, Government, volunteers, and Partner Agencies. You will work alongside the Director of Public Affairs to develop and implement communications plans, programs and activities that raise awareness of youth homelessness and promote the value and values of CHV. Using ethical storytelling, you will help to create policies and provide guidance to staff when telling youth stories, draft strategies and key messaging and manage strategic planning and operational requirements of issues management, reactive and proactive media relations, and communications planning.
How you will contribute:
- Develop an external communications strategy and key messaging to be used with all external stakeholders including donors, government, and partner agencies.
- Draft strategies and policies to ensure alignment of external communication with communications provided internally by People & Culture, and with marketing initiatives developed by our Philanthropy Team.
- Support the advocacy goals of the agency in providing strategic messaging on issues affecting vulnerable youth.
- Work in service to youth by ensuring communication and media activities are trauma informed and foster trust through open and timely communication with internal and external audiences.
- Collaborate with all departments to develop annual reports, briefing notes, communiques, speaking notes, press releases, donor newsletters, and audio-visual presentations.
- Generate campaigns, public relations and other activities designated to raise the profile and work of the agency.
- Create and execute events in support of Covenant House’s strategic vision and objectives.
- Develop and maintain a “speakers bureau” of employees and youth with media training and interest in speaking opportunities.
- Work in collaboration and in conjunction with the Marketing Team to maintain the content on the website and ensure it is up-to date and current.
- Work in collaboration with the Marketing Team to identify topics and content for social media.
- Monitor and respond to social media queries and mentions (including weekend monitoring).
- Support and provide content for digital marketing campaigns for internal CHV accounts, with a strong emphasis on paid social, web, and email marketing.
- Provide optimization, experimentation, and SEO strategy.
- Produce “Under One Roof” podcast.
- Manage the provision of agency information to Charity Intelligence
- Perform other related duties as required.
Who are we looking for?
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree in communications, public affairs, public policy, marketing, journalism, or public relations
- Five or more years in a comparable senior role
- Experience working in, and directly supporting the fundraising aims of, a donor-funded not-for-profit organization will be a strong asset
- Track record of creating/executing communications plans and/or communications campaigns to reach short- and long-term goals.
Skills & Abilities:
- Alignment with Covenant House Vancouver’s values and principles.
- Cultural competency and experience working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Awareness of and commitment to DE&I principles
- Skilled at communicating Covenant House Vancouver’s mission, interests, and impact and making compelling cases for support in written and verbal formats.
- Knowledge of current social media and online communication channels.
- Knowledge of philanthropy and donor cycles
- Organizational, problem-solving and project facilitation skills.
- Basic HTML and Front-end WordPress content management
Why Work for us? Would you like to …
- Be part of a team that makes a difference in the lives of youth in need
- Have generous Health & Dental Benefits, including substantial counselling benefits, employee assistance program, excellent vacation, personal, and sick leave
- Access ongoing training and development to improve both professional and personal growth
- Attend an array of exciting team bonding exercises throughout the year
- An inclusive team that welcomes innovative ideas and creativity
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
CHV is committed to upholding diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to:
- Persons from groups marginalized due to race, ancestry, colour, religion/spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- Persons with visible (physical) and/or invisible (mental) disabilities;
- Persons who identify as women;
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions; and
- Indigenous persons.
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and that therefore, diversity, equity, and inclusion can be complex. We value the contributions that each person brings and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all at Covenant House Vancouver.
We love what we do and try to make a difference every day. If you are looking to join a place where we have a purpose and aim to achieve positive outcomes, please join us by applying.
The starting salary range for this position is $62,062 – $77,568.40 / year
If our recruitment process does not work for you, let us know. Let’s see how we can work together to get to know you and see what might be a great fit!