Office Assistant | Canada Summer Jobs
In order to be hired at Covenant House Vancouver as an employee, practicum student, or volunteer, candidates must provide evidence of full courses of Health-Canada approved vaccinations prior to starting their first shift
About Covenant House
Since 1997, Covenant House Vancouver has provided essential and relentless support for youth experiencing, or at-risk of experiencing, homelessness. We provide support to youth ages 16 to 24 who have experienced a wide range of early life and ongoing, complex trauma including physical, sexual, emotional abuse, and neglect. Our purpose is to serve all youth with absolute respect and unconditional love, to help youth experiencing homelessness, and provide a safe and supportive environment for all youth in need.
The Impact the Office Assistant can make:
You will work under the controller and will be provided with general office administrative training and real life job practice, gaining valuable hands on experience in an office setting and have the opportunity to gain an understanding of finance and accounting, internal controls, management and financial reporting functions, as well as the primary information systems used in these functions.
How you will contribute:
- E-filing – Accounting records including Digitalizing documents
- Organize/compiling vender file / invoices to ensure timely payments processed
- Assist AP function including invoice entries and payment process
- Organize other accounting documents including shredding the confidential documents
- Assist with the year-end audit
- Assist with other misc. finance tasks and projects
- Other duties as required
Education and Experience:
- Have an accounting/business administration background or currently be enrolled in an accounting/business admin program
- 1 – 2 years office experience is preferred
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong administrative, and organizational skills
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion in dealing with confidential and sensitive information
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well organized with attention to detail and accuracy
Canada Summer Jobs Requirements:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period ;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment ; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
*International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
CHV is committed to upholding diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to:
- Persons from groups marginalized due to race, ancestry, colour, religion/spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- Persons with visible (physical) and/or invisible (mental) disabilities;
- Persons who identify as women;
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions; and
- Indigenous persons.
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and that therefore, diversity, equity, and inclusion can be complex. We value the contributions that each person brings and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all at Covenant House Vancouver.
We love what we do and try to make a difference every day. If you are looking to join a place where we have a purpose and aim to achieve positive outcomes, please join us by applying.
If our recruitment process does not work for you, let us know. Let’s see how we can work together to get to know you and see what might be a great fit!