Youth Support Worker
In order to be hired at Covenant House Vancouver as an employee, practicum student, or volunteer, candidates must provide evidence of full courses of Health-Canada approved vaccinations prior to starting their first shift.
About Covenant House Vancouver
Since 1997, Covenant House Vancouver has provided relentless support for youth experiencing, or at-risk of experiencing, homelessness. We provide support to young people age 16 to 24 who have experienced a wide range of early life and ongoing, complex trauma; including physical, sexual and emotional abuse and neglect. Our purpose is to serve all youth, with absolute respect and unconditional love, to help youth experiencing homelessness, and provide a safe and supportive environment for all youth in need.
The Impact a Youth Support Worker can make:
As a Youth Support Worker, you will be responsible for making the first impressions with our youth. As one of their first points of contact, helping with intake, signing youth into our building, and helping to ensure safety on shift. You will be responsible for the direct implementation of Covenant House Vancouver’s philosophy, policy, and principles as they pertain to client care and safety.
How you will contribute:
- Monitor the flow of Youth and visitors by supervising main entrance and being aware of the destination of visitors
- Identify guests and assist with the sign in/ sign out process
- Interact with youth, responding to enquires and preforming security duties such as monitoring front entrance, helping with intake etc.
- Ensure adherence to and role model Covenant House principles and core values
- Greet and welcome youth accessing CHV services, assess and respond to their immediate needs, and provide them with practical resources including food, clothing, transportation, etc.
- Build rapport with at risk youth 16-24 years of age
- Respond to any emergency situations that may arise, by implementing procedures outlined in various staff training, including Emergency response training (fire, etc), First Aid, Managing Hostile Interactions, and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, etc.
- Read and review all pertinent information and communication (i.e. Incident reports, communications logs, policies, procedures, emails, etc)
- Attend all training as directed by your manager
- Maintain the cleanliness and safety of the program areas – both staff and youth
- Laundry as needed
- Meet operational needs as required and ensure the safety of building and occupants, including fire, safety, and emergency procedures
- Occasionally work in and support to Youth Workers in our drop in space
- Other duties as required
Who we are looking for?
Education and Experience:
- One to Two years post secondary education, or equivalent
- First Aid & Non-Violent Crisis Intervention is an asset
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Familiar with the challenges facing youth who are experiencing homelessness or housing instability
- Familiarity with substance misuse and mental health concerns
- Strong administrative skills
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Covenant House Vancouver is a secular organization that welcomes and serves young people from all backgrounds. While the international federation to which we belong was founded in the 1970s by members of the Catholic Church, we are not aligned with any specific faith traditions.
CHV is committed to upholding diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to:
- Persons from groups marginalized due to race, ancestry, colour, religion/spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- Persons with visible (physical) and/or invisible (mental) disabilities;
- Persons who identify as women;
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions; and
- Indigenous persons.
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and that therefore, diversity, equity, and inclusion can be complex. We value the contributions that each person brings and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all at Covenant House Vancouver.
We love what we do and try to make a difference every day. Covenant House Vancouver offers a competitive salary with a great benefits package and excellent opportunity for training and career advancement. If you are looking to join a place where we have a purpose and aim to achieve positive outcomes, please join us by applying.
The starting salary range for this position is $20.52 – $25.65 / hour
If our recruitment process does not work for you, let us know. Let’s see how we can work together to get to know you and see what might be a great fit!