In her own words a young person describes how she blossomed into an independent young person while living at our Rights of Passage (ROP) program.
"Covenant House helped me to learn how to cook and clean better than I could before I came. They helped me to learn job skills. When I lived at Covenant House, I met people and made friends. They helped me with the case plan to plan what I am going to do today and tomorrow. They asked me to help with the community brunch and dinner and I liked to help. They woke me up in the morning so that I could go to school on time.
At Covenant House I got experience budgeting. I learned how to do a budget, because I like to spend money. They showed me how to take care of myself; they took me grocery shopping and they helped me find somewhere to live when I left Covenant House. I feel happy that Covenant House helped me find a better place to live."
At ROP youth recieve:
- A fully furnished apartment at Covenant House
- 24-hour support from Youth Workers
- Help learning to clean and take care of household responsibilities
- Help with decision-making, money management, time management, communication skills and conflict resolution
- Support maintaining employment and/or developing an education plan
- Wake-up calls and help sticking to schedules (reminders of appointments and assignments)
- One community meal each week
- Counselling and additional support as required to heal from the abuses of the past