Youth Homelessness in Canada
Youth homelessness is a significant issue in the Lower Mainland and across Canada.
Here are some facts and stats regarding homeless youth in Canada:
- 20% of Canada’s1 homeless population consists of young people between the ages of 13 and 242
- At least 6,000 young people experience homelessness every night2
- 40% of homeless youth first experience homelessness before the age of 163
- Over 50% of homeless youth indicated that abuse at home contributed to their homelessness3
Covenant House Vancouver is here to fight against youth homelessness, to support young people relentlessly, and to be a source of unconditional love and absolute respect.
At Covenant House Vancouver, we’re more than just a shelter or transitional housing. We offer a person-centered approach to addressing the needs of young people whose overlapping mental health, substance use, trauma, medical health, and other challenges require coordinated and specialized support.
Youth need a space that is psychologically, emotionally, and physically safe in order for them to feel like they belong. At Covenant House Vancouver, young people have a place to call home and a community that genuinely cares for them. This means that youth are getting the care they need when they need it.
Indigenous YouthWe acknowledge with gratitude that Covenant House Vancouver’s work takes place on the traditional lands of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First […] Learn More
2SLGBTQAI+ YouthCovenant House Vancouver strives to be a safe and inclusive space for all youth Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, gender non-binary and two […] Learn More
- Gaetz, S., Gulliver, T., & Richter, T. (2014). The State of Homelessness in Canada: 2014. Toronto: The Homeless Hub Press
- Gaetz, S., Dej, E., Richter, T., & Redman, M. (2016). The State of Homelessness in Canada 2016. Toronto: Canadian Observatory on Homelessness Press
- Gaetz, S., O’Grady, B., Kidd, S. and Schwan, K. (2016). Without a Home: The National Youth Homelessness Survey. Toronto: Canadian Observatory on Homelessness Press. Gaetz, S., O’Grady, B., Kidd, S. and Schwan, K. (2016). Without a Home: The National Youth Homelessness Survey. Toronto: Canadian Observatory on Homelessness Press.