Covenant House Vancouver (CHV) is committed to relentlessly supporting young people facing homelessness with programs and services that provide them with the tools that they need to succeed.
Since our programs and services are primarily privately funded by individuals, companies and foundations, we rely on our community of supporters — generous people like you — to help keep our doors open for young people in need, 24/7.
Like other agencies and non-profits, we are experiencing a growing demand for our programs and services. The needs of the young people we see are also increasingly complex, as we strive to serve any youth (16 to 24) who turns to us for help, regardless of their identity or circumstances. It is worth noting that making a gift to a charity, like CHV, might become more complicated, starting next year.
Our Philanthropy team strives to make the act of giving an easy and memorable experience for you. When we came across upcoming changes to the federal Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) system, we wanted you to know that new rules come into effect on January 1, 2024, which could hinder tax credits and trigger capital gains tax on some donations.
To learn more about upcoming changes, talk to an advisor you trust who can provide more details that pertain directly to your unique situation. We also found these recently published articles insightful:
- Malcom Burrows, “AMT and Donations,” All About Estates
- Canadian Family Offices, “HNW taxpayers: Get Ready for “Refreshed” Alternative Minimum Tax for 2024”
- Tim Cestnick, “Proposed Tax Changes in Canada Could Stifle Large Charitable Gifts,” The Globe and Mail
Ways to Give
If you would like to make a gift to support vulnerable youth in our community, here are some easy options for you:
- You can make a gift of publicly traded shares using our transfer form
- You will receive a tax receipt for the fair market value of the amount donated and incur no capital gains tax. Please ensure funds arrive in CHV’s account by December 31, 2023.
- Come January 1, 2024, such incentives may not be guaranteed, depending on how the new AMT rules apply to you.
- You can click here and make a gift online of your choice
- You can call us at 604.685.7474 (Monday to Friday) and our team will happily assist you.
Thank you for kindly filling the hope reserves of youth who turn to CHV for help.