We would like to extend our gratitude to Flaman Fitness, for donating the exercise equipment that resides in the fitness room in our new building.
The fitness room in our new building has proven to be very popular among the youth who access our programs and services.
Many youth who access our programs and services, have experienced trauma, which can affect their mental health, as well as their physical health. Having access to exercise equipment, as part of our wraparound services, provides many benefits to youth, including:
- A judgement-free and safe space for youth to work on their fitness amongst people they trust.
- Fitness and recreation activities provide a fun, easy-going environment for young people to get to know each other and form trusting relationships, both with their peers and with staff.
- Being able to access fitness equipment alongside our compassionate frontline staff, without leaving the safety and comfort of Covenant House, has been a healing experience for young people.
In addition to the physical and social benefits, regular exercise is known to help with, and improve, mental health. Some of the benefits to mental health from regular exercise are:
- May prevent depression and anxiety disorders.
- Improve cognitive ability.
- Reduce day-to-day stress.
- Boost academic performance.
- Reduce feelings of fatigue.
- Improve sleep quality.
- Enhance the impact of the treatment of addictions, particularly in the reduction of cravings.
- Boost self-esteem
- Aid in the treatment of eating disorders, chronic pain, PTSD, schizophrenia, and body dysmorphic disorders.
Youth are at the centre of everything we do, and youth feel valued and supported knowing there is a community of people who care enough to provide this outlet for them.
Thank you, Flaman Fitness, for the donation of exercise equipment that supports youth in improving their overall health.